Tamarac: “The City for Your Life”
Tamarac is a city ideally situated in northwest Broward County, Florida, 13 miles northwest of Fort Lauderdale and 40 miles north of Miami. The 12-square mile area is home to over 65,000 residents and 2,000 businesses. Tamarac is minutes away from the Ft. Lauderdale Airport and Port Everglades and is easily accessible from Interstate I-95, the Sawgrass Expressway and the Florida Turnpike.
The satisfaction level for quality of life is 23 percent higher in Tamarac than the national average. The city boasts “A” rated schools, affordable housing and a strong economy. There are 11 parks stretching over 153 acres, some with walking trails and fishing piers and many opportunities for recreational and sporting activities such as skating, tennis, and aquatic programs and more.
Tamarac was founded by Kenneth E. Behring, a young real estate developer from the Midwest. When he came to the area in the early 1960’s, there were vast open spaces of land and a country club named the Tamarac Country Club which is how the city got its name. Mr. Behring bought land with the vision of creating a retirement community that offered the convenience of a condominium with the privacy of a single-family home. The first neighborhood he built was Tamarac Lakes which consisted of 250 one story and two story homes and a common clubhouse, which provided social activities for the residents.
He would later create the Vista Villas (the Woodlands) which offered larger houses for the affluent and an upscale private golf club community. Tamarac continued to grow west with the purchase of 5,000 acres, more than doubling the city’s acreage. By the late 1960’s, Ken Behring had become the largest single-family homebuilder in the Southeastern United States.
Today, Tamarac is no longer just a destination for retirees and snowbirds. The city has experienced a significant shift in demographics towards a younger and more diverse population looking to experience the “good life.”
Economy in Tamarac
Tamarac is a business friendly city with a diverse workforce and balanced mix of blue collar and white collar jobs. A lot of people living in Tamarac work in office and administrative support (15.55%), sales jobs (11.86%), and management occupations (8.91%). Workers spend 30.77 minutes each day getting to work, which is significantly higher than the national average.
- City Furniture: Major furniture retailer headquartered in Tamarac. Ranked Top 10 in South Florida Business Journal’s Healthiest Large Employers.
- AMC Furniture Solutions: one of the country’s premier commercial furniture liquidators.
- Convergys: global leader in customer management
- University Hospital & Medical Center: full-service emergency care facility specializing in joint care and women’s health
Tamarac Statistics (2015)
- Population: 65,389
- Median Age: 47
- Male (43), Female (50)
- Median Household Income: $42,373
- Average Household Income: $57,023
- Per Capita Income: $26,363
Crime in Tamarac
In Tamarac, you have a 1 in 43 chance of being a victim of a crime. Overall crime in Tamarac, FL is 28% lower than in comparison to the Florida average; and 18% lower than compared to the national average.
- 1 in 316 chance of falling victim to a violent crime, such as rape, robbery, assault, or even murder
- violent crime rate in Tamarac is 31% lower than compared to the Florida average, and 15% lower than the national average.
- the year to year rate of violent crime has increased by 14%
- 1 in 50 chance of a property crime including theft, vehicle theft, and burglary
- property crime rate is 28% lower in Tamarac than the average in Florida, and 18% lower than the overall national average.
- year to year rate of property crime has increased by 3%
Tamarac Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been accused of committing a crime in Tamarac, FL, it is imperative to take immediate action to protect your rights. Right now, the prosecution is building a case against you. Depending on the severity of the charges you face, you could be penalized with fines, time spent behind bars, probation and a criminal record. To fight back, you need a tough criminal defense attorney by your side.
Leah H. Mayersohn is considered one of the top attorneys in Tamarac and throughout South Florida. For over two decades, she has provided high quality criminal defense and delivered favorable outcomes for clients in the form of acquittals, dismissals and charge reductions.
Ms. Mayersohn and her legal team have the skill, resources and experience to successfully defend against any felony or misdemeanor charge including but not limited to:
- Driving under the influence (DUI)
- Drug crimes
- White collar crimes
- Sex crimes
- Theft crimes
- Domestic violence
Call Today 954-400-5000 to Schedule a Free consultation